- Fix OSD placement accidentally messed up in 0.8.1.
- DOCS/client-api-changes has been correctly updated for the v0.8.0 release
- Quality and major perfomance improvements to smoothmotion.
- Silence the "[ytdl_hook] WARNING: video doesn't have subtitles" warning.
- Other documentation updates.
- Attempt to fix OpenGL shader compilation on Intel windows drivers. (bug
- Attempt to improve the OpenGL shader's compatibility with GLES2.
- (Windows) Fix noise when seeking while using wasapi:exclusive. (bug #1529)
- Fix the waf-based build system when used with newer versions of waf with
- Documentation fixes. (includes bug #1608)
- mpv now tries to load '.vtt' subtitles.
This listing is not complete. A complete changelog can be seen by running
`git log v0.8.0..v0.8.1` in the git repository.
Changes that may break users' config files have been annotated with a `(!)`.
- `(!)` vo_opengl_old has been removed. OpenGL rendering now requires hardware
that can do at least OpenGL 2.1, the oldest version supported by vo_opengl.
- `(!)` vf_pp has been removed. A version of it can still be accessed through
lavfilter (e.g. --vf=lavfi=[pp...]), but it receives no QP information.
Also, vf_dlopen no longer passes QP information to its loaded plugin either
(it's always 0).
- `(!)` vf_softpulldown, vf_swapuv, vf_phase, vf_divtc and vf_ilpack have all
been removed. Ports or alternative versions of these filters are available
through libavfilter (vf_lavfi).
- vf_pullup and vf_noise now are simply wrappers to their libavfilter
equivalents. Both are only currently available on FFmpeg (not Libav).
- `(!)` ao_portaudio has been removed. There is good support for the native
audio drivers of all major desktop platforms, as well as ao_sdl and
ao_openal as fallbacks.
- `(!)` vo_opengl's `lscale` suboption has been renamed to `scale`; `lradius`
is now `scale-radius`, `lparam1` and `lparam2` are now respectively
`scale-param1` and `scale-param2`; `lscale-down` is now `scale-down`.
The `cscale` suboption remains as is.
- `(!)` Several of the `vo_opengl` radius-preset aliases supported by `scale`
have been removed; use `scale-radius` to set if needed. For example, use
`--vo=opengl:scale=lanczos:scale-radius=2` instead of `scale=lanczos2`.
The default radius is recommended for most filters.
- `(!)` vo_opengl no longer supports the `stereo` suboption. The anaglyph
effect can be reproduced with the stereo3d filter. The quadbuffer support,
which requires expensive specialized hardware to begin with, is removed.
- `(!)` The `approx-gamma` suboption to vo_opengl has been removed. The
BT.1886 specification says that it's actually how it's supposed to be done
so it is now the default when `srgb` or `icc-profile` are enabled. This does
not include BT.1886's gamma drop.
- `(!)` The `no-scale-sep` and `indirect` suboptions to vo_opengl have been
removed. These are now autodetected and enabled whenever they would have
- `(!)` The `--lua` and `--lua-opts` parameters / options are now called
`--script` and `--script-opts`, respectively. The `lua` subdir of the mpv
config dir is also now expected to be called `scripts` instead.
- `(!)` The `--fixed-vo` option has been removed. It has been the default for
a long time anyway, and disabling fixed-vo is not useful.
- vo_opengl_hq has been updated to take into account new features.
`fancy-downscaling` and `sigmoid-upscaling` are enabled,
"mitchell" is now the default for `scale-down`.
- The `sub-visibility` OSD message is now clearer about whether subtitles
are hidden or just not available / selected.
- The device IDs given to `--audio-device` for use with ao_coreaudio now use
UIDs, so they don't change when devices are added/removed or after reboots.
- `--msg-level` now also accepts ',' as separator.
- (Client API) The client API now refuses to initialize if the LC_NUMERIC
locale is not "C".
- (Client API) The native type of the `msg-level` parameter is now a key-value
list. Setting or reading it as a string still works.
- (Slave API) The `get_property` command is now deprecated.
- Documentation updates.
- PDF documentation is now disabled by default due to rst2pdf being fickle,
causing weird build errors.
- Print desync messages with negative A/V sync as well. While rare, it could
happen with some uses of `--autosync`.
- (Windows) Avoid resizing the video window when player is minimized, might
address bug #1547.
- (NetBSD) Fix build with v4l2.
- (Linux) Attempt to address conflicts with the pulseaudio mixer. (bug #1578)
- Multiple cdda:// fixes. (bugs #1555, #1560)
- VP9 timestamps no longer cause "missing PTS" warnings with new enough FFmpeg
- Fix a crash when using H.264 hardware decoding on new enough libavcodecs.
- vo_opengl now supports frame blending to eliminate stuttering when the video
framerate does not nicely match the display framerate through the
`smoothmotion` suboption. This is not meant to artificially increase the
video's FPS, so there is no "soap opera effect" or difficulties with some
video types (e.g. anime).
- vo_opengl now supports sigmoidal upscaling (e.g. for fullscreen), which
reduces ringing induced by upscaling, enabled through the
- vo_opengl now supports ewa_lanczos (Jinc) scaling, which provides higher
quality with less aliasing. It supports an experimental `scale-antiringing`
parameter, which tries to further reduce video ringing.
- vo_opengl now has a `linear-scaling` suboption, that makes the scalers work
in linear light. Implied by the `srgb`, `icc-profile` or the new
- vo_opengl has improved downscaling for higher downscale ratios when
`fancy-downscaling` is enabled.
- Add `--keep-open=always` to make `--keep-open` apply to all files instead of
only the last.
- mpv now filters the tags that are printed on the console to try to hide
useless metadata. The filter works as a whitelist, and can be configured
with the `--display-tags` option.
- Add a `--sub-scale-by-window` option that, when set to 'no', prevents
subtitles from changing their pixel size when the window changes sizes.
- vo_opengl now technically has GLES 2 and 3 support (but not GLES 1). GLES 3
support is only tested on Mesa's software emulation. GLES 2 has been tested
on nvidia drivers. Both GLES modes are feature deficient and inefficient due
to GLES limitations, so they should not be preferred over the standard
- (X11) vo_opengl now supports the `icc-profile-auto` option on X11 hosts.
- The 'A' key now by default cycles through a list of preset aspect ratios.
Meant to be used to work around broken files.
- There is now a "force" mode for `--loop`. Works like "inf", but tries to
open files/streams even if there was an error on the previous attempt.
- There is now a `--log-file` option to write mpv's log messages to a specifed
- There is now a `--audio-file-auto` option to automatically load an external
audio file with certain constraints. Will only load external audio if the
playing file has a video stream. Set to "exact" by default. (bug #967)
- There is now a `--network-timeout` option to specify a timeout in seconds
for network access. If 0 (default), uses the libavformat default. If a
protocol that doesn't support timeouts is used, this option is ignored.
- (X11) The XF86 special keys are now all mappable in `input.conf`. All keys
documented in `XF86keysym.h` are available, but only as their numeric codes.
- (Linux) The DVB implementation now supports DVB-S2 through S2API.
- (Linux) The VDR format for `channels.conf` is now supported and preferred.
See http://linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Syntax_of_channels.conf for the
syntax. Tuning to DVB-S2 channels requires the VDR-format `channels.conf`.
- (Linux) There is now a `--dvbin-full-transponder` option for handling
special broadcast cases where PIDs switch, or just to work around incomplete
- (Client API) There is now an opengl_cb VO, which receives the OpenGL context
from the libmpv client. This allows a client to render libmpv video directly
to a provided OpenGL context without having to use --wid embedding.
- (Client API) The aforementioned --wid parameter can now be set at any time,
but has no effect if a file is already loaded.
- (Client API) The list of DVD titles can now be queried.
- (Client API) There is now a `filtered-metadata` property, containing only
the tags allowed by `--display-tags`.
- (Client API) There is now support for XEmbed `--wid` targets, such as a
- (Client API) There is now a `file-format` property with a symbolic name
for the file format. In some cases this might be a comma separated list
of various different extensions due to libavformat idiosyncrasies.
- (Client API) There is now a `mouse` command for generating mouse events
over the video window.
- (Client API) There is now a `partially-seekable` property that indicates
whether a file is only considered `seekable` because of the stream cache,
but would not be seekable otherwise (e.g. realtime stream, or HTTP with
no resume support). Small relative seeks may be fine, but larger seeks
will likely fail.
- (Client API) There is now an MPV_EVENT_QUEUE_OVERFLOW event that is posted
whenever events have to be dropped because the queue is full. No further
events are posted until the MPV_EVENT_QUEUE_OVERFLOW is consumed to avoid
- (Client API) There is now a helper `mpv_wait_async_requests()` function
that blocks until all known async requests have completed. (bug #1542)
- (Client API) There is now a `detected-hwdec` property that returns the
detected hardware decoder when one is successfully opened. This probably
only returns a valid value after playback has started.
- (Client API) There are now `audio_add`, `audio_remove` and `audio_reload`
counterparts to the equivalent `sub_` commands for handling external audio
This listing is not complete. A complete changelog can be seen by running
`git log v0.7.0..v0.8.0` in the git repository.