Diffstat (limited to 'DOCS')
2 files changed, 10 insertions, 7 deletions
diff --git a/DOCS/interface-changes.rst b/DOCS/interface-changes.rst
index a9a6664461..ea4545bdc3 100644
@@ -26,6 +26,7 @@ Interface changes
"audio-file", "external-file" (these cases used to log a deprecation
- drop deprecated --video-aspect-method=hybrid option choice
+ - rename --hdr-tone-mapping to --tone-mapping (and generalize it)
--- mpv 0.26.0 ---
- remove remaining deprecated audio device options, like --alsa-device
Some of them were removed in earlier releases.
diff --git a/DOCS/man/options.rst b/DOCS/man/options.rst
index e824e04e0f..814f6fe2d9 100644
@@ -4765,9 +4765,11 @@ The following video options are currently all specific to ``--vo=opengl`` and
The user should independently guarantee this before using these signal
formats for display.
- Specifies the algorithm used for tone-mapping HDR images onto the target
- display. Valid values are:
+ Specifies the algorithm used for tone-mapping images onto the target
+ display. This is relevant for both HDR->SDR conversion as well as gamut
+ reduction (e.g. playing back BT.2020 content on a standard gamut display).
+ Valid values are:
Hard-clip any out-of-range values. Use this when you care about
@@ -4786,10 +4788,10 @@ The following video options are currently all specific to ``--vo=opengl`` and
results in flattening of details and degradation in color accuracy.
Similar to ``reinhard`` but preserves both dark and bright details
- better (slightly sigmoidal), at the cost of slightly darkening
- everything. Developed by John Hable for use in video games. Use this
- when you care about detail preservation more than color/brightness
- accuracy. This is roughly equivalent to
+ better (slightly sigmoidal), at the cost of slightly darkening /
+ desaturating everything. Developed by John Hable for use in video
+ games. Use this when you care about detail preservation more than
+ color/brightness accuracy. This is roughly equivalent to
Fits a logarithmic transfer between the tone curves.