|author||Niklas Haas <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2017-09-19 06:35:24 +0200|
|committer||Niklas Haas <email@example.com>||2017-09-21 15:01:26 +0200|
vo_gpu: fix gamma scale
This never really made sense since the BT.1886 changes. It should get *brighter* for bright rooms, not darker for dark rooms. Picked some new values that seemed reasonable-ish.
Diffstat (limited to 'DOCS')
1 files changed, 11 insertions, 11 deletions
diff --git a/DOCS/man/options.rst b/DOCS/man/options.rst
index b4416ec34d..b08150c6bb 100644
@@ -4649,22 +4649,22 @@ The following video options are currently all specific to ``--vo=gpu`` and
Recommended values based on the environmental brightness:
- Brightly illuminated (default)
- Slightly dim
- Pitch black room
+ Pitch black or dimly lit room (default)
+ Moderately lit room, home
+ Brightly illuminated room, office
- NOTE: Typical movie content (Blu-ray etc.) already contains a gamma drop of
- about 0.8, so specifying it here as well will result in even darker
- image than intended!
+ NOTE: This is based around the assumptions of typical movie content, which
+ contains an implicit end-to-end of about 0.8 from scene to display. For
+ bright environments it can be useful to cancel that out.
Automatically corrects the gamma value depending on ambient lighting
- conditions (adding a gamma boost for dark rooms).
+ conditions (adding a gamma boost for bright rooms).
- With ambient illuminance of 64lux, mpv will pick the 1.0 gamma value (no
- boost), and slightly increase the boost up until 0.8 for 16lux.
+ With ambient illuminance of 16 lux, mpv will pick the 1.0 gamma value (no
+ boost), and slightly increase the boost up until 1.2 for 256 lux.
NOTE: Only implemented on OS X.